In this episode:
- For a lot of people, YouTube pretty much is the internet. It’s the world’s second largest search engine (next to Google, obvs), so we wanted to discuss how we use YouTube, get some great channels out there to you guys, and also find out what you’re watching and how you use.
- What we actually watch on YouTube differs quite a bit. We initially thought it would be balanced, but it very much isn’t. Void uses YouTube as essentially a TV with all sorts of cool shows and creators he loves, while Beej sees it more as a novelty for one-off views.
- Beej doesn’t have much that he watches: VetRanch, Dr. PimplePopper, Woodworking for Mere Mortals, ObeseToBeast, RunSelfieRepeat, various funny puppy and kitty clips, CineFix, and catches up on clips of late-night shows or music videos. And really, that’s about it.
- Void, on the other hand, uses PLEX to stream YouTube to his TV where he follows various channels and creators like most people do their network sitcoms and police procedurals.
Void’s YouTube Highlights (the occasional watches):
- Penny Arcade TV
- Dungeons & Dragons
- Star Wars
- Rocket Jump and Rocket Jump Film School
- Mark Brown’s Gamer Maker’s Toolkit and Boss Keys
- Chez Lindsay
- Extra Credits (gaming videos, but not so much the history videos)
- NoClip with Danny O’Dwyer
- Tested.com (any of the videos with Adam Savage are great. The other ones… not so much.)
Channels/Creators that Void watches absolutely everything they put out:
- Griffin Series on Polygon
- Shut Up & Sit Down
- Cool Ghosts
- Movies with Mikey
- CGP Grey
- Every Frame a Painting (Good places to start are Jackie Chan - How to do action Comedy, The Marvel Symphonic Universe, or Edgar Wright - How to do visual comedy)
Geeky Offer of the Week
- Book Recommendation: Ahsoka by E.K. Johnston. Snag it for free at audibletrial.com/geektogeekcast and support the podcast!
- Beej - GoT Season 6 / Paper and Fire
- Void - For Honor Beta PS4 / Fire Emblem Heroes slowing down (things take more stamina at higher levels) / Thoughts on mobile Turn Based Strategy / The Genius Game Season 3
Be sure to subscribe to the Geek to Geek Podcast your favorite podcast app, drop a review so we know how we’re doing, and feel free contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or @geektogeekcast on Twitter with any comments, questions, or suggestions for the show. Thanks for listening, and we can’t wait to hear from you!
Geek Offer of the Week:
Geek to Geek Podcast Network:
Music by CarboHydroM